Re: Control Center items (Was Re: Online Accounts panel for 3.2)

Le mardi 19 avril 2011 à 11:32 -0400, David Zeuthen a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Frederic Peters <fpeters gnome org> wrote:
> > I am also of the opinion we want a single panel; but I think the
> > design of the "online accounts" panel should allow the accounts that
> > are currently in the "messaging and voip accounts" panel
>
> I agree.
>
> > ; nothing
> > really new here, I had that old mockup in mind:
> >
> >  http://gitorious.org/gnome-design/gnome-design/blobs/master/mockups/control%20center/web-services/web-services-2.png
>
> Yeah, I looked at this too.. and it's somewhat what I had in mind -
> the only difference is that I think we need to support multiple
> instances (e.g. multiple Google accounts - I personally have both a
> gmail.com account and also a google-hosted fubar.dk account). While
> this might be a 5% thing (I think it's slightly higher actually),
> enough of us hackers use such a feature so not supporting it means a
> lot of people won't be eating the dogfood.

I think the main question here is: should this new capplet be a full
replacement/superset of the existing empathy-accounts?

According to
https://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings/Profile#Discussion that's
still an open question but in your mail you mention that you want to
support unbranded services.

For example should this new capplet support the following use cases:
- Configure an IRC account to connect to freenode.
- Configure an IRC account to connect to an user specific IRC network
(like the IRC server of his company).
- Configure a SIP account to connect to well known SIP provider (such as
voipbuster for example).
- Configure a SIP account to connect to the SIP server of his company.
- Configure his @jabber.org XMPP account.
- Enable/Disable his Salut account; 'People Nearby' in Empathy.
- Configure a Groupwise, Gadugadu, Zephyr (add any extra not so common
protocol supported by libpurple here) account.

Be aware than configuring unbranded services often means we have to
expose lot of technical options. Just take a look on the advanced
section of the XMPP or SIP widget in empathy-accounts.

~

I'm also wondering what kind of user settings we want to expose here.
According to https://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings/Profile#Scope
this dialog should allow user to change his display name and user image.
In the IM world I guess that means the user alias and avatar.
Do we want to include his personal info (exposed on the service) as
well: address, phone number, birthday date, etc.
If we do, that could be a full replacement of Empathy's "Personal
Information" dialog. Is that what we want?

I'm all in favour of having a more desktop integrated IM accounts
management, but we have to think carefully about the user experience we
want to offer before jumping to the technical implementation details.
Designers have a key role to play here.

	G.

--
Guillaume Desmottes <gdesmott gnome org>
Jabber <cassidy jabber belnet be>