Re: GNOME user survey 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 16:40 +0800, Frederic Muller wrote:

> I agree that we still need to talk about how to get the survey to most
> people and what's the best way to attract a "representative part" of the
> GNOME user base. Thinking out loud here, I wonder what could be done to
> get distributions providing GNOME 3 to advertise the survey on their
> websites. Maybe calling it a census would also sound more neutral.

About the users that will answer the survey, I would like to share
something. There are many schools in Brazil that use GNOME. I've been to
4 schools in April, only in one of them there was at least one person
that knew what distribution they were using, on the others they only
knew it was "Linux" and they didn't understand what was a Desktop
environment. Three out of the 4 schools used GNOME, if I remember
correctly.

I don't think there is a way to make those users know about the survey
unless someone goes there in person. They also won't start using GNOME 3
in the near future, because they are using old versions of everything or
using a default Ubuntu installation (1 school).

So even if we reach 1 million answers, we should keep in mind there is
at least one type of user that won't be accounted for.

Best Regards,

Luciana Fujii