Re: GNOME user survey 2011 (v4)

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 6:42 PM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
<zeeshanak gnome org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Felipe Contreras
> <felipe contreras gmail com> wrote:
>> Here's the fourth version of the survey, only tiny minor changes, it
>> seems it's stabilized as there isn't many more comments.
>>
>> Shall we start planning the deployment? Who can get it into the site?
>> Can I have access?
>>
>> How about an application that pops notifications similar to this one?
>> Would such a thing be accepted?
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> === 01. Which of the following images best resemble your desktop? ===
>> (image selection)
>>
>>  - GNOME 2
>>  - GNOME 3
>>  - Unity
>>  - KDE
>>
>> === 02. Overall, how happy are you with GNOME? ===
>> (single choice)
>
>  As Bastien pointed out already, in question#1 you are reaching out
> to users who use GNOME without knowing so but in the rest of the
> questions, you are not. I think this survey isn't going to be useful
> to us if you don't include such users in it as GNOME 3 is very much
> targeted for this type of users. Before you ask, no I don't know how
> you can do that.

Huh? What makes you think so?

Let's suppose the user has absolutely no idea what is GNOME, so (s)he
is not clicking on a GNOME user survey link, but gets a notification
from the desktop (which I'm not sure is going to happen), or something
like that. The title of the page will still be GNOME desktop user
survey, so what is the user going to thing? "Hmm, looks like I'm using
this GNOME thing". First question, click on the image that best
resembles the desktop, the image says "GNOME 3", well, certainly looks
like I'm using that GNOME thing. There's a tendency here.

Even ignoring all that, the second question "Overall, how happy are
you with GNOME?" is still targeted at these people, even if they don't
know what GNOME is, they know the survey is about the desktop they are
using, what else would it be about? The fist question makes sure they
have the right thing in mind.

Sure, some of the rest of the questions are not applicable, but that
doesn't mean these kind of users are not targeted, at least they will
be able to answer 02, 07, 10, and probably 03, and that should
certainly be at least better than nothing. Maybe those question can in
the beginning, and perhaps even split into two parts.

There's really not much that can be done in order to target these users better.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras