Re: Splitting up a library without breaking ABI?

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 19:35:46 +0200, Josselin Mouette  wrote:
Le mardi 23 août 2011 à 10:20 +0200, Stef Walter a écrit :
> Is there a way to split a library into two without breaking ABI?
> > The current pkg-config file library is libgcr-3.so. Would it work to
> have libgcr-3.so depend on the two new libraries (eg: libgcr-base-3.so,
> libgcr-gtk-3.so).

What I have already seen working is libgcr-3.so keeping some of the
symbols, depending on libgcr-base-3.so with the others. But I don’t see
a reason why it wouldn’t work at the moment.

And I really mean “at the moment”; in the future the dynamic linker
might stop automatically looking for symbols in indirect dependencies,
since AFAIK it is not part of its specification to do so.

Darwin's linker has for many years used two-level namespaces. At
compiletime, ld encodes in the binary the name of the file where wach
symbol was resolved. At runtime, it has to be in that same library, not
just "somewhere in the linked higherarchy".

dan

 --
Daniel Macks
dmacks netspace org