Re: IRC channels in gnome development

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 5:58 PM, C.J. Adams-Collier <cjac colliertech org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 01:04 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
>> >
>> > I am not aware of any automated GimpNet IRC channel logging and
>> > publishing.
>> >

>> It would be very useful to have a bot around which logs conversations
>> on #gnome-{shell,design,os}
>
> done, done and done.
>
>> et al
>
> You'll have to be more specific.
>
>> and puts it up somewhere.
>
> http://ilbot.colliertech.org/gnome-shell/today
> http://ilbot.colliertech.org/gnome-design/today
> http://ilbot.colliertech.org/gnome-os/today
>

>> A number
>> of GNOME channels already have bots to manage chanops, those could
>> probably be put to this use as well, if possible.
>
> Poke me if things go offline.  My web server isn't the most stable thing
> in the world.
>
>> To cover the conversations that have already happened; maybe people
>> can put up their logs of these channels of the past year (or whatever
>> they have). We can then patch up the various logs to make a full log.
>
> Let me know when you've got them and I'll post them in the same place.

bebot has been logging for some time.  I'd prefer it if we have only
one mechanism in place.  We haven't had a chance to figure out what to
do with the logs (including where to post them, how to present them,
and how to search them).  Another issue is that I want to ensure that
it is well known that the channels are logged (I consider it impolite
to post logs from folks that don't know they are being logged) and
that we make some assurance that sensitive information doesn't
accidentally get published (at least until you can change that
password you accidentally typed into IRC).

Would you mind disabling your bot until we do that?

Thanks,
Jon