Re: My thoughts on fallback mode

On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 16:18 -0800, Peter Korn wrote:
> Hi Wouter,

> > > Some more positive attitude to gnome-applets, first of all.
> > For what it's worth: to me Gnome Applets is more than a random
> > collection of pretty "useless" applets.

> > I'm unsure about these ones:
> >
> > - AccessX Status

> Folks who are deaf and also have a physical impairment that impacts
> their ability to type (e.g. only a single functioning "finger
> equivalent") need a visual indication of the AccessX status.  This
> doesn't have to be accomplished as an indicator in a gnome-panel.  In
> fact, Apple has leveraged their integration with video hardware to
> make a very snazzy visual indication of their equivalent of AccessX
> status - something one might do similarly with GNOME Shell.
>
> But... some means of visually indicating the AccessX status is
> definitely important for GNOME 3.0.

I know the shell (at least in some iterations) has an accessibility
indicator/menu, but I'm not sure what overlap there is between that
menu and what AccessX shows. Could an accessibility expert tell us
what specifically needs to be shown? Could you get us a screenshot
of the kinds of notifications done in Mac OS X?

(As an aside, I talked to a non-disabled user at the AEGIS conference
who accidentally turned on one of the keyboard accessibility features,
maybe by one of the keyboard shortcuts. He had no idea what was wrong,
and didn't have a visual indicator because he hadn't added the AccessX
applet to his panel. Integrating indicators, without relying on adding
some random applet, is a big win for that kind of case.)

Thanks,
Shaun