Re: My thoughts on fallback mode

> Le mardi 04 janvier 2011 à 12:23 +0100, Christopher Roy Bratusek a
>
> écrit :
> > >
> > > Maybe because it's using Clutter, and no WM other than Mutter allows
> > > displaying windows as Clutter actors? The Shell isn't external to the
> > > WM, it lives in the WM, and thus depends on its peculiarities.
> >
> > I don't believe it's Clutter. If I remember correctly they use DBus for
> > interaction.
>
> It *is* Clutter. D-Bus is not involved at all. The Shell is a Mutter
> plugin, and as such interacts directly with the windows that are
> represented as ClutterActors.

OK. That was a missinformation.

> If you really want to discuss these technical points with developers, I
> suggest you document yourself much more precisely (source code, blog
> posts of e.g. fishoup.net). I think you'll understand that using the
> Shell with Compiz/Sawfish would require huge refactoring, and simply
> doesn't make sense.

I know all that. But using it with another WM does not make no sense per se,
but per architecture. I know what it would involve to change it, basically a
rewrite in core.

What I don't understand is why the decision was made that it is being
implemented as a Mutter (strange name for a WM if you speak german, btw)
plugin, rather than as a "normal" application which would allow to be used
with any WM.

Chris