Re: My thoughts on fallback mode

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 06:37:33PM +0100, Gendre Sebastien wrote:
>> Le mardi 04 janvier 2011 à 10:54 +0100, Christopher Roy Bratusek a
>> écrit :
> [..]
>> > GNOME3 + Compiz = Fail ... or: GNOME3 + Sawfish = Fail
> [..]
>> I agree with you Chris. The non-modularity of GnomeShell and the
>> non-mind-open of her dev team is problematic.
>>
>> I tried to give my opinion about Gnome Shell on its mailing list and I
>> was ignored. I tried the IRC chat and I was insulted (some people say
>> that I'm contitioning, unable to think by myself). This is intolerable
>> in a community project.
>
> Being ignored is not the same as being insulted. With being ignored, it
> is unfortunate, but there can be multiple reasons why this happens. Just
> as simple as holidays or overlooking an email. Though could even be that
> you've asked something which was explained various times before.

Let's be very clear about this.  No one on the shell list is ignored.
Every message is read and considered.  However, it is unreasonable to
expect that every thought, suggestion, flame will get a response or
change the direction of the project.  Not if we ever want to get
anything done.  A thoughtful response that doesn't come off as
extremely curt or rude takes a considerable amount of time.

We're all working pretty tirelessly to make something wonderful for
ourselves, for you, and for the world.  With any luck that will be
evident in time.

An open creative process is a serious challenge.  Imagine trying to
plan and prepare a meal in a commercial kitchen with a hundred
self-described foodies hovering about you.  Whether or not any of the
advice and criticism is valid is almost beside the point - it is just
not helpful in that form or forum.  There is no sense getting all
peeved that your advice was unheeded or that the frantic, sweat-tinged
labor did not take a moment to address your concerns.  Your challenge,
if you really do want to be influential, is to find a place for
yourself in the process.  Learn how to become a valuable and trusted
collaborator.  To be sought out for consultation, to be trusted to
work independently toward a shared goal, to take a personal stake in
the outcome.

Are you ready?  Go grab an apron, wash your hands, tie your hippy hair
back.  We've got mouths to feed.

Jon