Re: My thoughts on fallback mode

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 08:58:26PM +0100, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> The solution would have been to provide a fallback mode for GNOME-Shell, which
> allows it to run with any WM. AFAIR it was rejected because of architectual
> reason, which if you ask me don't make sense, as the stack below is still the
> same (kernel, x11, gtk, clutter).

I don't see why gnome-shell must make it possible to run another window
manager. Ideally it should, but it doesn't. And that would still not be
a fallback. It would not be GNOME anymore.

Current fallback is gnome-panel and maybe if someones hacks on it
gnome-applets as well. But ideally the software rendering bits would
make the fallback not required.

Then GNOME 3 is just gnome-shell (fallback being a slower experience).
People wanting to run gnome-panel and gnome-applets on the GNOME 3.x
platform would be free to do so, but on an as-is basis (gnome-panel
hasn't gotten much attention during last releases.. 99% sure the
maintainer fully agrees with that).

> But as some have unvealed today, it's not the real reason, marketing is the
> magic word and to provide a desktop "made from one", and some other less valid
> reasons (eg.: even if you allow modularization you can provide great user-
> experience as modifications made by the user bother him/her not you).

You're misinterpreting the answers given to you. So to state it again:
1. Marketing is not the reason.
   I stated marketing, as to explain we focus on gnome-shell, not on
   gnome-applets. I don't see anything wrong with saying we focus on
   gnome-shell
2. Integration has made things quicker to develop
3. Not integrating within the window manager has been considered and has
   been discussed, various times
   See gnome-shell mailing list archives. Decision was NOT taken
   lightly. I forgot the many reasons why it wasn't easy, but it is all
   available for anyone who really cares in the gnome-shell mailing
   list.

--
Regards,
Olav