Re: On the Interaction with the design team

Hi Johannes,

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de> wrote:

> I think you miss the original point of the discussion: Even people that
> would want to join the discussion have a hard time doing it if
> everything is discussion on IRC (at a certain time) only.

I would really love to see someone set up official logging of GNOME
IRC, like MeetBot or whatever.  Several people run private loggers,
but we'd just need to make clear to participants that it is being
publicly logged.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de> wrote:

> Second, I have followed the discussion on gnome-shell-list for quite
> some time where design was of course often pretty controverse. I took
> the time to understand most of this but at the few times I complained
> ([1] and [2]) the design team didn't really explain their reasoning in a
> broad way.

I'll say this again - if the biggest problem we have is that some
people have to read the user docs to figure out how to shut down,
we're doing AWESOME (but we're not actually doing AWESOME; there are
bigger problems).

That said as far as design feedback, I think we need some sort of
better mechanism than Bugzilla and IRC; it's basically unsustainable
for everyone in the world to be able to comment directly; we get those
bigger problems mixed in with someone's personal ideas (which may or
may not be good).  Something like a web forum where people can discuss
issues, flame etc., and moderators can bring issues to the attention
of designers and engineers.  I guess gnome-shell-list is sort of
evolving into this, but it's not great for it.

Both of these things require changes on the GNOME servers though, so
it's hard to just Make Happen =/

Practically speaking, friendly reminders to update the design wiki
pages are going to be appreciated I think, and that would help a fair
bit.