Re: Help Wanted Installing jhbuild on LFS 6.8

You already did. jhbuild will install in whatever you specified as prefix.

The jhbuild instructions are for people who already have a proper gnome2 install and want to try out gnome3 easily safely: run a shell script, jhbuild build, jhbuild run gnome-shell --replace. There's no chance that accidentally overriding your gnome2 gnome-settings-daemon with a gnome3 one will break your install, because jhbuild doesn't touch your install. There's a lot of gnome-specific voodoo playing with environment variables, LD_PRELOAD hacks so that you have no chance of touching anything outside of your jhbuild prefix.

But this approach only goes so far: there's eventually going to be a point where you'll need a newer polkit or networkmanager version, and whoops, those need to run those as root.

I am unfamiliar iwth LFS: does it have a common packaging or build system?