Re: Help Wanted Installing jhbuild on LFS 6.8

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

Me too, but why not make an exception with jhbuild software. You already
made an exception by breaking the guidelines of your package management
system: according to it, each package must have its own package user,
but with jhbuild, stuff built all have jhbuild as package user. Either
that or find out how to make jhbuild stop installing everything under
--prefix. You might need to change the code though.

I suppose I could install to /opt and link to /usr, but I really want to work this out. The symlink package management ideas presented on LFS may be of interest as a workaround.

I interpret a package as more than an individual application. For example, X windows has minimum requirements to be a functioning software package and they are released as a group, so the package is xorg or better xorg-core with group of xorg.

jhbuild user installs jhbuild.  ~/.jhbuildrc is practically empty.

xorg-core user installs X.
jhbuild build xserver xf86-video-intel xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse

gnome-core user belongs to gnome group and installs gnome-core moduleset.

individual gnome apps install as self (gedit user installs gedit, but also belongs to gnome group).

Using this scenario if I wanted to upgrade X from 7.6 to 7.7 all I have to do is:
forall_direntries_from "xorg-core" -depth \( -type d -exec rmdir {} \; \) -or \( -not -type d -exec rm -f {} \; \)
and re-run jhbuild for xorg-core user.

For the group gnome:
forall_direntries_from "gnome" -depth \( -type d -exec rmdir {} \; \) -or \( -not -type d -exec rm -f {} \; \)
This would remove gnome-core and gedit in example above