Re: Plugins, modules and extensions

On Mon, 2011-05-09 at 15:52 +0200, Giovanni Campagna wrote:
> A different issue is then UI. Some time ago it was proposed to introduce
> addons.gnome.org, skip the (rpm/deb) packaging completely and just
> instruct users to go, download the plugin and install it.
> This has the problem that the plugin must be in an installable format
> (xpi?), not just a random python/js file to drop in .local/share (or
> even worse, an autotools tarball).

I'm not sure we need to take extensions into account which do stuff that
requires more than the metadata/js/css files - I'd consider extensions
already as warranty-breaking, and even more so if it requires
compilation/installation outside
~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/foo.

So I'd imagine something simple as a gzipped tarball with a custom
extension (gsx == GNOME Shell extension?) which is distributed on
addons.gnome.org - then we can have a dedicated app ("Desktop Extension
Manager"?) registered as MIME handler to deal with
installation/removal/disabling/... .

Florian