Re: "Open containing folder" for all apps

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 18:10 +0100, Maciej Piechotka wrote:

> Hmm. Maybe a better solution would be to somehow drag'n'drop?
>
> Say:
>  - Attach xyz.pdf to e-mail: open xyz.pdf drag the window/contents of
> window to new mail window
>  - Copy abc.gnumeric to CD - open file in gnumeric, drag'n'drop/contents
> of window to CD.

You are thinking of a different problem, specifically "let me take the
document I have open in front of me and pass it on to another tool".

The problem I'm thinking of is, "let me see things that I placed in the
file system, close to the document I have open in front of me".

(If your document were a book, my solution would be to have a sticker in
the book's spine that tells you which bookcase and shelf to put it in
when you are done with the book.)

> I am not UI designer however.

This is OK.  We all have intuitions as to how our tools should operate.
Frequently those intuitions are correct; other times we need a larger
vision - but you can learn that, as anything else.

> PS. I know that DND of window will clash with moving it but maybe there
> is some smart way of doing it.

MacOS does this by showing an icon next to the filename in the window's
titlebar:

   O O O          [I] foobar.txt             --

You can move the window by dragging the titlebar, but if you drag the
[I], you instead drag the URL of the file (or something like that).
*This* is a solution to your problem, but not to mine ;)

  Federico