Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 10:18 -0400, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
> Le mercredi 11 mai 2011 à 12:16 +0100, Bastien Nocera a écrit :
> > > FWIW, this is exactly the use-case I'm missing. I would like to copy
> > my
> > > personal data to an external hard drive, remote server or cloud
> > storage
> > > service, so that if my hard drive goes boom, I can get my settings,
> > > documents, photos, etc back after installing a new distribution on a
> > new
> > > system. I'm not that bothered about a full system recovery for a
> > GNOME
> > > back-up tool.
> > >
> > > So I applaud your focus :)
> >
> > That's because you're lead to believe that it's enough :)
>
> From desktop point of view, we usually do no modification of any kind
> except for /home. It takes 20-30 minutes to install a distro these days,
> and same to install a system backup. Base on that, doing a full system
> backup seems a waste to me. As long as I can recover my home into some
> newly created user account, I think it's enough. Also, when a hard disk
> breaks, I tend to buy a bigger one. Using distribution installer let me
> reconfigure the partitioning (or let the distro do it) from an user
> interface I already learned before.

Perhaps it's not time-consuming to install a distro, but it is
time-consuming to work out what extra packages/software one had
installed and then find and reinstall them.

If a GNOME backup program is not going to back up anything outside the
home directory, I'd at least hope that it would store a list with each
backup of the packages the user has installed. I believe PackageKit
offers such functionality[1] (though I've never actually seen it).

Philip

[1]:
http://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2008/11/15/pkcon-list-install-foopackage-list/