Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 09:37 +0200, Ted Gould wrote:
> > control
> > >
> > > That won't work for long. Once we've move the Bluetooth panel directly
> > > in the control-center, we'll be removing the external API from the
> > > control-center. It was only added for gnome-bluetooth, and will be
> > > removed then as well.
>
> Could someone please articulate the GNOME position for downstream
> distributors of GNOME technologies?  It seems to me the previous
> position was to use the extension points instead of doing vendor
> patches.  Yet, without extension points it seems that vendor patches are
> the only solution there.

For the gnome-control-center, if it's worth having, it should be worth
having upstream, and in gnome-control-center directly.

If it's not something that's worth having upstream, then you should
probably look at integrating it elsewhere, ie. in a separate
application.