Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup

On 13 May 2011 21:50, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
> Deja Dup could definitely qualify pretty easily as a "Featured
> Application"; see:
> https://live.gnome.org/TwoPointNinetyone/FeaturedApps

I had thought it was a Featured App already.  When modulesets got
redesigned during my previous proposal, I thought that was the
outcome.  But it's not in that list, true.  Are Featured Apps still a
thing in 3.2?  I don't see the corresponding ThreePointOne page.

> A few concerns:
> 1) I'd like to see at least some discussion for how (if) this
> intersects with the already existing Finding and Reminding feature:
> https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards/FindingAndReminding

I'd be interested in hearing from designers if there's any
intersection here too.

> 2) The external dependency set is pretty large =(  It looks like
> duplicity would in turn pull in quite a few new modules.  If you're
> serious about proposing this though, can you try fixing the jhbuild in
> the gnome-apps-3.2 moduleset to actually work?
>
> _librsyncmodule.c:26:22: fatal error: librsync.h: No such file or directory
>
> It looks like it's missing several things; the Fedora package at least
> depends on librsync, gnupg, python-boto.

Hrm.  I do have a need to clean up the jhbuild sets.  I also know that
older modulesets should be pointing at the branches of DD, not trunk.
I will fix that soon.

> 3) If you're still planning to have this run outside of GNOME, are you
> going to keep around the application mode in some way?  If so, maybe
> it makes sense to stick with that for this cycle, and we can make it a
> Featured App, and revisit deeper integration for 3.4?

I expect to allow building both a panel and a window versions of the
preferences.  That way, any distros that intend to follow through with
re-adding the panel API can get a better experience if they want to.

-mt