Re: New module proposal: LightDM

Hi,

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Brian Cameron <brian cameron oracle com> wrote:
> Yes, you are right.  GDM does not currently use OpenGL.
>
> My comment was meant to be understood as an example of how GDM may be
> moving in a direction that requires certain hardware or only works on
> certain operating systems.  Sorry if I was not clear.  For example, I
> also raised concerns that the GDM/ConsoleKit evolution may be moving in
> a Linux-focused direction.
So to be concrete (for clairty to those following along that don't
already know).  Oracle ships a product called SunRay.  It's a thin
client system where the individual thin clients are treated as black
box hardware devices that speak the X protocol.  Some of these devices
don't support certain X extensions GNOME rely on like RENDER and GLX.
I think this is what Brian is alluding to (Brian, correct me if i'm
wrong on any of the above).

> If GDM is evolving into a display manager with tight GNOME integration
> that works only with specific hardware and/or operating systems, then
> an alternative display manager may be needed by some users.
Of course, that's fine.  I don't think many would disagree with that.
When developing your platform for SunRay, you've got to make choices
that are appropriate for the technology you have.  And it may be
LightDM is the way to go for that product.  Certainly, getting LightDM
vetted through the ARC review process would be a good thing for it.

SunRay is proprietary, though, and so kind of sits outside the focus
of GNOME.  But we've talked about this before, and I think we both
agreed (right?) the choices you make for that platform may sometimes
be orthogonal to and contrary with the choices we make together for
GNOME.   We all have several hats to wear and juggle I guess.

> It is not really clear what the future GDM/ConsoleKit plans are in this regards,
> and nobody seems to clarify.
Clearly, GDM should try to stay as closely aligned with the direction
of GNOME as possible.  Certainly that means gaining a GNOME 3 look and
feel, and using the bits of the GNOME 3 library stack that make sense
to use, etc.

> Anyway, is there a real need or benefit to talk about Solaris GDM
> participation in a discussion about whether to accept LightDM as a
> module?
Right, this is straying a bit off the original topic.

--Ray