Re: systemd as external dependency

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 18:59 +0200, Jan de Groot wrote:

> This is not just about kFreeBSD, but about any non-linux OS that GNOME
> runs on. If the attitude becomes "screw them, they're different", then
> GNOME should officially screw every distribution that doesn't provide
> the latest and greatest software too.

I support the notion of concentrating on Linux. But there's a dangerous
slippery slope here.

In the last few weeks I've been trying to run GNOME 3 and gnome-shell on
Ubuntu via the "gnome3 developers' PPA".

The number of times I have been mocked and derided and laughed at on IRC
is staggering. "That's not a real distro". "That's not maintained by
real GNOME people". "Don't use that" "Switch distros!"

Jesus.

This package repository is maintained by a bunch of people (some
Canonical employees, some employees of other companies, some volunteers,
*all* by definition GNOME community members) who are clearly putting in
a lot of effort to make it work.

That PPA was set up in no small part because early GNOME 3.0 marketing
efforts identified that it really mightn't be a bad idea if the large
number of people running  deployed Ubuntu systems could try the new
GNOME experience. It was also setup (and is used because) this certain
cluster of Debian-based Linux systems really does have a rather large
installed base.

For a lot of good reasons most of those people cannot easily change
distros, even if that were to be desirable. [And it's not. Many
installed sites made a technology decision (Fedora → RHEL, Ubuntu edge →
Debian stable, etc) one way or another and have since built system
management infrastructure on top of it. They're not going to be in a
rush to revisit that].

I'm fairly certain that the GNOME community is not trying to say "thou
must run Fedora". Of course not. But people asking nervously about
packaging formats in a thread about system level dependencies are
honestly concerned that such a distro mandate might be next on the list.

[Yes, I know it would make the documentation team's job easier, and I'm
sorry to oppose anything in that direction].

I think that requiring the Linux Kernel and common Linux base system
libraries is a reasonable step in the right direction for GNOME. We are
competing with several 900 metric pound gorillas who have total control
of their stack and laugh their heads off at us when they even bother to
take notice of us.

We're not them. And we collectively have limited bandwidth to go around.

I'm sad if this means we can't easily support the cool efforts of
smaller communities of people working on [fringe is the wrong word.
Edge?] projects like Solaris and the *BSD distros, but I also think the
interfaces argument is a reasonable one. But meanwhile our current and
near future user & developer base *is* fragmented across several Linux
distros and I'd like to hope we can be tolerant of them.

AfC
Sydney