Re: GNOME Online Accounts extensibility

On 10/06/2011 07:40 PM, David Zeuthen wrote:
II. To avoid user confusion we only want the major online services in GOA.
     Support for more specialized protocols/services should happen in each
     separate app - that's why, for example, that Empathy still has a preferences
     menu so you can add support for e.g. ICQ, Zephyr and other fringe chat
     services and protocols. And that's also why you still have support in
     Evolution for manually adding IMAP/SMTP servers.

What about free (or not free) services you can install on your own box but would still provide services for many different programs?

I'm thinking about owncloud, for instance, which provides document storage, calendar, bookmarks, etc.

Sure this is not a "well known" service, but yet I think many would like to be able to add such services, due to our natural love of freedom and not promoting big companies without alternatives.