Re: Splitting gnome-utils for 3.4

On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 18:06 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> hi;
>
> no: tags and branches in git reference objects and that will balloon
> the size of the repository. just look at the gdk-pixbuf repo for an
> example.

I think the problem are not the tags or branches per se, there are
repositories with too many unrelated tags/branches.

gdk-pixbuf$ git tag | wc -l
354

247 of them are some sort of GTK (multihead support, gtk releases,
etc.), from the remaining ones there is even an EAZEL-NAUTILUS-MS-AUG07.
So, that is inheritance of the migration that -probably- could be
cleaned up.

But, the bare repository size of gdk-pixbuf still is 144MB.  gnome-utils
is 47MB (with 286 tags and 56 branches).

Even in the worst case, like evolution with 2248 tags and 494 branches,
the bare repository size is 363MB.

The bare repository of the whole git.gnome.org (640 repositories) is
9.4G, still 3 times smaller than our previous subversion (which has less
history and repositories).

My point is to set a middle ground, where it were possible to keep the
relevant history (dropping the non-related tags and branches) rather
than dropping all tags and branches.

Regards,

--
Germán Póo-Caamaño