Re: 3.6 Feature: IBus/XKB integration

On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 14:22 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 09:13 -0400, Shaun McCance wrote:
> > On Mon, 2012-04-23 at 23:23 +0200, Rui Tiago Cação Matos wrote:
> > > The feature wiki page[2] has some more details and links to initial
> > > code to achieve this.
> >
> > > [2] https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointFive/Features/IBus
> >
> > That page links to this design page:
> >
> > https://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings/RegionAndLanguage
> >
> > It looks like Compose key is being pushed off to Tweak Tool. When Allan
> > posted about this on Google+ last October, by far the most common thing
> > people said they use is the Compose key:
> >
> > https://plus.google.com/u/0/100040579167442382687/posts/QTFCr48xNkj
> >
> > I think something that common should be easier to get to.
>
> The Compose key is defined in the layouts. What is being dropped is the
> ability to override that.

I don't know of a physical keyboard layout that has a Compose key.
So are we just deciding that one of the keys will always behave
differently than the printed keycap?

I suppose if you use a modifier key (R_Alt seems popular) then it
can still function as a modifier as well as Compose, though that
will interact poorly with sticky keys.

> (Is Google+ full of anything but geeks nowadays?)

No. :)

--
Shaun