Re: 3.6 Feature: Lock Screen

On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 18:38 -0400, Marina Zhurakhinskaya wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'd like to propose a new lock screen as a 3.6 feature. The new lock screen will
>
> - be styled to have a uniform look and feel as the rest of GNOME Shell
> - be visually consistent with the look of the authentication
> components on the login screen
> - have a limited number of status icons displayed
> - show an indication that there are notifications or show the
> notifications themselves depending on the user’s preferences
> - allow user authentication with a password, pin, fingerprint, or
> smartcard
>
> The designs for the lock screen are available here:
> https://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Design/Whiteboards/ScreenLock

I *love* the idea of showing notifications and allowing control of
media playback. It's something I've wanted for a very, very long
time.

But I share Bhaavan's concern with having to physically drag the
screen up. It's very cumbersome with a mouse. And aside from being
inconvenient, without keyboard-only use it's not accessible.

How is the PIN supposed to be set? Will that involve changes to
the User Accounts panel?

And while we're dealing with User Accounts and passwords, could we
manage to do something about the password hint? You can set it, but
it doesn't do anything useful in any software anywhere. It's kind
of embarrassing to have to write that in the help.

--
Shaun