Re: 3.6 Feature: Lock Screen

On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 10:55 -0400, Jakub Steiner wrote:
> Hey Maciej,
>
> > Why use PIN at all? (Apparently that is question for Windows 8 as
> > well).
> > Or is it for smartcards?
>
> PIN entry is an alternative authorization method for form factors where a typically long text entry (especially with numerals thrown in) is too much of a burden, like on a tablet device. I can see some additional methods, like using swipe patterns or face detection viable, but this seemed like the easiest approach.

Makes sense. I think it might be better to invest some more time in
coming up with an alternative to PINs, though. Something like swipe
patterns would be more usable (though I believe they might be patented).

Though PINs are easy to implement, they place a memory burden on the
user just the same as passwords do. There's also the risk of users
re-using PINs between security domains, though iirc users do generally
understand the difference between "really valuable PIN used for banking"
and "less valuable mobile phone PIN".

Philip