Re: 3.6 Feature: Lock Screen

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 5:43 AM, Tomas Frydrych
<tf+lists gnome r-finger com> wrote:

>> Our primary purpose is making a lock that can
>> prevent casual people from accessing another person's PC, while still
>> keeping the system usable for a single user setup.
>
> OK, I misunderstood; I assumed Gnome aimed to be a desktop that could be
> deployed beyond the kiddies laptop. If all we are looking for is to
> prevent casual access, then the WM will do just fine for this, of
> course. :-)

That seems unnecessarily inflammatory... I think we've already filled
up our quota for ddl flamewars this week.

Anyway, the only thing I am going to say is that 'security' in the
strict sense of the word does not even enter the picture as long as we
are operating the screen lock from inside the user session. Robustness
certainly is a concern - but if our desktop shell crashes several
times an hour, the screen lock going away as a side effect should be
the least of our worries...