Re: 3.6 Feature: Totem -> Videos

On 24/04/12 13:51, Luca Ferretti wrote:
2012/4/23 Bastien Nocera<hadess hadess net>:
Work is on-going to make Totem into that:
https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Videos#Tentative_Design

I like the mock ups.

Looks cool, the only issue I can see is actual video files may have
weird names (such as "VID_20120424_123212.mp4" or "[Freedom] Mobile
Suit Gundam Unicorn - 03 (1920x1080 X264 AAC) Sub Ita.mp4") and I
suspect there is no (simple) way to re-tag them.

Not really. With Tracker on the N9 and earlier devices we attempted to put something in place to work around this, but it never catches all cases and depending on how you use that code can impact performance.

Unfortunately, correct metadata/file names for media is something we will always battle, not just for videos, but also music, etc.

I am also of the view that much of the video information (like the extension, the format, resolution, etc) is not really useful a lot of the time (especially to non-tech users) but should be available through some interface (menu, dialog, etc).

--
Regards,
Martyn

Founder and CEO of Lanedo GmbH.