Re: Mirroring GNOME on github

>> Disadvantages
>> * Maintainers might see this is mandating them change their workflow.
>> I emphasize that github should be only a mirror, interaction and
>> merging should occur first on git.gnome.org
>
> This is a killer. There would just be forks of random GitHub
> repositories with patches, and people submitting pull requests, that
> are as effective as /dev/null. Slashdot writes that we're mirroring on
> GNOME, and the designers are the cabal again.
>
> if we want to mirror on GitHub, we need to have an active presence
> there. I don't know what that would mean.

I don't see how your second paragraph follows from your first (and the
cabal bit is just confusing).

I believe that the most important consideration is whether github will
attract more contributors to the project, and if so, whether the
benefit of such will be worth working with a non-free UI.

Would it be fair to say you acknowledge that it will attract more
contributors ("random[1] forks and patches") but on balance think it
will not be worth the non-free UI?

I'd quite like to have pull requests that I can ignore (or format into
a patch to merge)...

John

[1] s/random/GNOME/ (that is the point remember. we currently have
random forks there)