Re: questioning gnome modulesets

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM, Jeremy Bicha <jbicha ubuntu com> wrote:
> Core
> ====
> My understanding is that the gnome-core moduleset contains the
> essential pieces for distros to use to ship *GNOME*. Distros tend to
> also supplement this with apps from the gnome-apps or gnome-world
> moduleset or elsewhere (LibreOffice for instance).

Absolutely right.

> Should epiphany (Web) really be part of GNOME Core? Most GNOME distros
> (Debian, Fedora, openSUSE, etc.) use Firefox by default. Mageia is
> notable for actually shipping Web. It seems to me like epiphany would
> be better off in the gnome-apps moduleset, perhaps "featured".

IE has been a core part of Windows since 1997.
We are catching up now!
When GNOME really gain popularity, we can have something like this:
http://www.browserchoice.eu/BrowserChoice/browserchoice_en.htm

> And what about gnome-packagekit? I don't think Mageia or openSUSE use
> it by default and the Ubuntu GNOME Remix is planning to use Ubuntu
> Software Center for its next release.

PackageKit supports all major package management systems, period.
You know, GNOME is always right.
Why do you guys split up with things like YaST and Ubuntu Software Center?

> Apps
> ====
> Why are Rhythmbox and Banshee in gnome-world and not gnome-apps?

I believe that official GNOME music player is GNOME Music.
https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Music

> Why are gnome-nettool and nemiver "featured" apps? What does "featured
> apps" even mean?

Featured means featured.
displayed, advertised, or presented as a special attraction -- Merriam-Webster
I'm very glad to know that there is debugger app for GNOME.