Re: [gnome-settings-daemon] datetime: Remove datetime D-Bus mechanism

On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 09:48 -0500, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
<snip>
> While writing the extra code that Debian and Ubuntu will need may only
> take a day or a few days' work for you, it's probably beyond my
> abilities.

I don't think it is. Take systemd's tarball, and call it
systemd-services. Package up systemd's D-Bus services, without the rest
of the init system. Then you can test and better your Debian specific
patches for those services.

> Dropping support for Debian & Ubuntu doesn't seem a very friendly
> move, and it's only going to delay getting GNOME 3.4 into the hands of
> your user base.

We're not dropping support. We're expecting the distributions to ship
their own config files modifying D-Bus services. You can use systemd, or
not, that's irrelevant.

The point is that we shouldn't have a "if (fedora) else if (debian) else
if (suse) else if..." in GNOME code. This does that.

And if you _really_ wanted to ship GNOME 3.4 in Ubuntu without packaging
up systemd's D-Bus services, you can also revert the 2 patches.

Cheers