Re: [gnome-settings-daemon] datetime: Remove datetime D-Bus mechanism

On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 14:30 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> This particular change was mentioned nearly a year ago on this very same
> list. It's not my fault Ubuntu (in this particular case) didn't take the
> hint to start packaging the relevant D-Bus services, or rewriting them
> to fit their use.

If you are referring to the discussion that happened last May, I would
consider it a "mention", certainly... but nothing like any sort of a
notification.  You said that you wouldn't mind making use of the
interfaces, but would prefer if Lennart could make more efforts to split
them out so they could be used on other platforms.  Lennart replied that
he would do no such thing, and as far as I know, that was the end of the
conversation.

This doesn't fit my idea of effective communication of intent.

> You're making a fuss because you ("Ubuntu")

Are you attempting to annoy me...

> Stop this us vs. them thing

...or just set up for a double-take?

> and get them to package up the missing
> bits. An afternoon's work, and no need to scream bloody murder.

As mentioned above -- Lennart has no intention of making it easy to use
his code outside of systemd (and I don't blame him).  This is not a
matter of some simple packaging -- more like reimplementing a D-Bus
interface in a new code base (which could originally be copied out of
systemd, but then would have to be maintained separately).  This is not
an afternoon's work.

Cheers