Re: [gnome-settings-daemon] datetime: Remove datetime D-Bus mechanism

On Fri, 20.01.12 08:47, Ryan Lortie (desrt desrt ca) wrote:

> hi Bastien,
>
> On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 12:36 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > No, the distributions/systems that choose not to use systemd will have
> > to provide a compatible D-Bus service.
>
> This is what I guessed you'd say.
>
> > It can be something "extracted" from systemd, or something new and
> > revived from the old date and time mechanism, but it won't be something
> > we support and maintain in gnome-settings-daemon.
>
> > And I'm glad I have 3000 less lines code to maintain.
>
> I'm just a little bit concerned about how this looks.  I love when we
> can delete code, but we're doing it by disabling a previously-working
> feature for a portion of our users.
>
> If we introduced new optional features that depended on a particular
> systemd functionality in order to operate, it would be one thing.  We do
> that often.  This change is a regression of existing functionality in
> the name of "I don't feel like maintaining it anymore".
>
> I'd also feel a bit better if I thought you had made efforts to get in
> touch with those that would be affected by this regression.  Ubuntu
> isn't shipping GNOME 3.4 g-s-d/g-c-c, this cycle, for example, but for
> the last week I've been trying to convince them that they should.  If I
> had succeeded (which I am now glad I didn't) then this change would have
> been a royal pain, creating a whole lot of new work to fit into an
> already full schedule.
>
> Many of our own end-users will still want to install GNOME 3.4 onto
> their Ubuntu systems (myself included).  I look forward to the mention
> in our release notes about how they can no longer change their time
> because we wanted to delete a bit of code.

Note that The Ubuntu folks have been well aware of all of this
coming. How I know that? Because at their last UDS they scheduled a
session about rewriting those mechanisms for Ubuntu, and they even have
a project page up on launchpad:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-p-systemd-packagekit

Lennart

--