Re: File Transfers in Shell Panel

Le dimanche 22 janvier 2012 à 12:56 -0600, Jason Simanek a écrit :

> If the "new transfers" design is this:
>
> <https://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Design/Whiteboards/Transfers>
>
> that seems to explicitly exclude the use of a file manager. Which is
> nice and all, but the reality is that file managers are still very
> useful and necessary tools. My little mockup addresses a problem that
> exists with how Nautilus currently presents file transfer information.
See also https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Transfers
It says the goals include "File copy/move operations within the system".

There's a screenshot of the current Nautilus file copy dialog in the
"Relevant art" section there.

> Should I be talking directly to the Nautilus developers? Are the Gnome
> developers more focused on this, er, "future with no file manager"
> desktop model?
I think you'd rather discuss this with designers on #gnome-design first.
I don't think integrating with Nautilus is really contrary to the goals
of the Transfers idea. It's just that Nautilus isn't the main objective
in the designers' mind: the design will be driven by other concerns, and
Nautilus will have to fit into that.

About the mockup, I think the idea is definitely good, but I suspect
designers will tell you to put this as an icon in the messaging bar at
the bottom, which is designed for this kind of temporary task, rather
than in the top panel.

Regards