Re: [PROPOSAL] GNOME Goal for 3.8: No more Python 2

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM, David Malcolm <dmalcolm redhat com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-03 at 10:13 -0400, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:

>> > Most likely because people don't know what's required. What's the
>> > contingency plan? Will we be able to ship 2 version of Python, 2
>> > versions of the bindings and have old and new apps work as expected?
>> > What's needed for plugins?
>>
>> Speaking as someone who did the Python 3 conversion for both Orca and
>> Accerciser (code review pending), what I learned in the process is that
>> there are many things which are both Python 2 and Python 3 compatible.
>> In fact, the bulk of the changes are because quite a bit got backported
>> into Python 2. Mind you, those things which did get backported are
>> definitely in Python 2.7, might or might not be in Python 2.6, probably
>> are not in 2.5....
>>
>> Thus if everyone can start with the changes which are both Python 2.7
>> and Python 3 compatible, our contingency plan could be a minimum
>> required version of Python 2.7.
> FWIW, I've found this library to be extremely helpful when maintaining
> .py code for the common subset of the 2.x and 3.* dialects:
>   http://pypi.python.org/pypi/six/
> It may be worth thinking about blessing this as a dependency.

I'm not the biggest fan of writing polyglots, which is what I see in a
codebase that runs on both Python 2 and Python 3. To me, either we
endorse Python 3 and drop Python 2 entirely, or we properly support
Python 3 with 2to3 and a set of custom fixers, if necessary. 2to3 is
much better than it was in the 3.0 days.