Re: Again: please clarify the decision on IBus integration

On Mon, 2012-07-09 at 13:06 +0800, Aron Xu wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Matthias Clasen
> <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Aron Xu <aronxu gnome org> wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to get your clarification about what's your decision on
> >> IBus integration because all of us haven't reached to an agreement on
> >> the whole thing. While I feel that you'll do it regardless of
> >> complaints from users when reading the Wiki page, which explicitly
> >> emphasis the opinions from foreign developers who doesn't use input
> >> method at all. This can be frustrating and I'd like to eliminate it,
> >> so if I get no certain response in a reasonable time frame, I'll
> >> assume that no one is able to speak up about the decision and it's
> >> automatically become a not-for-3.6 thing, then I'll revert any commit
> >> causing input method related behavior change that are not agreed here.
> >
> > Aron, threatening to 'revert any commit' in modules that you don't
> > maintain is not a great way to reach agreement.
> >
> > I can't give you the 'official' decision that you want, but I am still
> > very much planning to go ahead with the IBus integration for 3.6. The
> > work is being done carefully. Rui has accumulated quite a few patches,
> > and we are waiting for some fixes on the IBus side before landing
> > them.
> >
> > As for complaints, I expect that we will get some feedback when the
> > integration has actually landed...when people have a chance to try it
> > out. I hope you will, too. When you do, keep in mind that this work is
> > still very new and may need a while to mature and reach its full
> > potential.
>
> OK, I get the point: users' opinion worth nothing when "design" said
> something is good, even there are significant disagreements flow into
> mailing list, even when you don't use it anyhow. It's completely
> frustrating and I won't revert anything as you said it was
> "threatening".

Did you bring any concern during GNOME.Asia?  There were designers
attending there.  That seemed to be a good opportunity to talk face to
face, show in practice the issues, etc.

In order to keep the discussion healthy, it is important to keep in mind
people mean well for discussion as our Code of Conduct says
(https://live.gnome.org/CodeOfConduct)

--
Germán Póo-Caamaño
http://people.gnome.org/~gpoo/