Re: Prevent screen from going to sleep

On 2012-03-01 Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:

> >> Any application which  e.g. plays a movie can  block the screen
> >> from turning off.
> >
> > When I  watch  movies in VLC  the screen is  still  switched off
> > after ten minutes. Preferences →  Advanced  → “Inhibit the power
> > management daemon during  playback” is activated.  Maybe that is
> > related  to my problem.
>
> I'd  suggest you  file a  bug against  VLC in  their bug  tracking
> system.

I will do that.

> > Still, my setting should work regardless of the application
> > I use.
>
> that's not how it works. :-)

Could you  then explain  how the  setting “sleep-display-battery|ac”
works? It's not only VLC related. I sometimes have a PDF that I want
to display without the screen being turned off.

> applications can  (and should)  suspend the automatic  blanking of
> the screen, if  they require it - for instance,  video players, or
> presentation programs.

I totally agree.

> adding  a   potentially  damaging   setting  (you   disable  power
> management ->  your display  never turns off  -> you  lose battery
> juice  -> you  lose documents,  your backlight  gets progressively
> worse, your battery  gets progressively worse, etc)  to paper over
> something  that should  be  automatic is  not a  good  use of  the
> setting system, nor it is a good use of the user's time.

I get your point. But the  automatism don't always work. What if I'm
working on the  shell and watch the  output of a program.  I have to
press a button from  time to time to keep my  screen alive. It would
be  so  easy  to  simply  turn  off  the  scrren  blanking  for  the
time  the program  is  operating  and I  think  that's exactly  what
“sleep-display-battery|ac” was made for. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Marco