Re: Last GNOME 3.4 Blocker Report

On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 16:42 -0400, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 21:27 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 18:04 +0100, Johannes Schmid wrote:
> > > We do you push it so hard to avoid the term "browser"? Browser has
> > > been used by non-tech people for a couple of years now.
> >
> > Because most people do not know what a browser is.
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4MwTvtyrUQ
> >
> > I normally prefer to say "the application that displays web pages" when
> > talking to non-tech people.
>
> Yeah, but how many of those people are going to go to an About
> dialog. And if they do, are they really going to be any less
> confused by "The GNOME Web developers"? That sounds to me like
> the people who work on gnome.org. I wouldn't count on a stray
> capital letter to convey semantic information.

Taking this just a bit further, I understand the reasoning behind
debranding the core apps. GNOME is the brand, and it just comes
with all this awesome stuff built in. But I do think it's going
to make it harder for people to use Google as a support tool.

So I entered "firefox problem" into Google to see its autocomplete
suggestions, then s/firefox/gnome web/. Are these search phrases
likely to produce helpful results?

"gnome web problem loading page"
"gnome web problem with facebook"
"gnome web problem with flash"