Re: GNOME Goal Proposal: Port to GMenu

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Xan Lopez <xan gnome org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Andrew Cowie
> <andrew operationaldynamics com> wrote:
>> Is there a reference application doing this right?
>>
>> I ask this because Epiphany¹ has no menu, but does and a funky button
>> over on the right that, upon investigation, turns out to be a menu has
>> useful things like "add bookmark" ... but not preferences! Which,
>> eventually and quite by accident, I discovered was in the global GMenu
>> thing up top. Oh.
>
> The way it was designed is that things related to the application as a
> whole go in the application menu, things related to the particular
> window you are in go in the gear thing. I'm not sure about what you
> mean exactly with "Epiphany has no menu" in any case.
>

>> Presumably that's not quite what you're aiming for. Perhaps you can
>> suggest a current GNOME app that *is* doing precisely what it is you
>> want us all to do?
>
> The design we have is not exactly like what it's implemented, since
> there's a few things in the gear menu that should not be there. The
> fact that there's a global app menu and a window specific menu is
> implemented as designed, though.

I think having two different "super" menus could be confusing, the
distinction between application and window is not something people
think about.

An example of how this can be a problem is the "View as List/Grid"
menu items in Documents. These exact same options exist in Nautilus,
but they would live in the menubar or a super menu instead of the
appmenu. Per-window/per-app makes sense from a technical perspective
but it's not a natural to users.

--
Evandro