Re: 3.6 Feature: IBus/XKB integration

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
> Frederic Peters <fpeters gnome org> wrote:
>> Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
>>
>>> We only have the development resources to ship one input method. It's
>>> going to need special code to integrate with Clutter and the St
>>> toolkit. If IBus is bad right now, we need to fix it.
>>
>> Or use fcitx instead of IBus? I honestly do not know the topic, but I
>> read the emails from Marguerite Su and believe she brought important
>> points. I'd like to understand what are the plus points of IBus today.
>
> I can't provide a technical comparison. What I can say is that I have
> established a productive relationship with the iBus team as I've
> worked on this feature, and I've had some productive (and quite
> detailed) design conversations with them. They seem committed to
> making iBus work with GNOME, and are are working towards that end.

So shall we sit down and see how to solve this problem better?

One of possible solution is to have an generalize abstraction. I'd
also like to provide my help.

And even polish it and push it to freedesktop standard, as both fcitx
developer and KDE developer.
As fcitx developer also want it to work under GNOME well, that's why I
also implement a extension for gnome-shell.

As far as I read the code listed here,
https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointFive/Features/IBus it's not so hard
if we can agree on same page.
Gnome can and should have a more generalized interface, and it would better.

Fcitx is also already use dbus to provides available input source and
it's used in fcitx's own configuration tool.

For more details, here is part of fcitx's own interface, with unique
id, internationalized name, language code, and available status.

<node>
  <interface name="org.fcitx.Fcitx.InputMethod">
    <property access="readwrite" type="a(sssb)" name="IMList">
    </property>
  </interface>
</node>