Re: 3.6 Feature: IBus/XKB integration

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Ma Xiaojun <damage3025 gmail com> wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I subscribed this list for this thread. As yet another native Chinese
> Linux user I'd say I support IBus integration.
>
> When I saw Ubuntu Bug #983254, Unity's IBus "integration", I feel that
> it was wrong and I spent some efforts to spread that bug in Chinese
> use community.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nux/+bug/983254
>
> However, now I feel that such integration is correct. People who find
> IBus sucks and able to install and use other frameworks instead often
> find origin GNOME and/or Unity sucks for them also.
>
> I guess no one can unify Linux desktop experience in near future. But
> if none the camps provides a work-out-of-the-solution, it's just a
> illusion of choices. I'm happy to see GNOME and Unity is becoming less
> and less "powerful".
>
> Emacs, Perl, Unix, ninjas have 1000 ways to avoid IBus. I don't worry
> about these guys. Some people in this thread manage to maintain their
> own input method framework :)
>
> Best Regards,
> Ma Xiaojun

Ha, unity, did they do it better? No, even worse. Even they use ibus
directly, they even brings more problem on input method, where is
cursor following? Where is dead key support? That's should let for
people who understand input method to work on this. Otherwise please
talk with existing well defined interface.

I agree if one desktop want to be better, there should be tighter
integration. From even engineering level tight integration between
application and less integration at the binary level would be better.
Integration at runtime is not impossible (Kimpanel kinds of prove
this, and works since even 3 years ago) nor even bring too much work.

Hard dependency will simply make gnome yet another Apple/Microsoft. If
you guys are going this way, I have nothing to say then.