Re: Some points about IM integration

On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 23:39 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> I don't want people to draw the conclusion that because I'm saying that
> input methods should have simple configuration without a lot of options,
> I think that they aren't important. I'm very aware that every single
> user that comes to GNOME and wants to write in Chinese needs to use an
> input method. But if we have so many options that the defaults don't get
> well tested, or if options conflict and produce bugs, then we're not
> shipping a good ';';'''''''

[ I'm sorry - had an input problem here - but attributable to a crumb in
  my keyboard rather than anything to do with input methods:-) ]

then we're not shipping a good product. The configuration should be as
complex as it needs to be but no more.

I don't think there are easy answers, because there are a lot of people
out there who really want to make input work well and work well with
GNOME. So, mostly what I can do here is try to explain a bit about
the way we usually think about things in GNOME and what we consider
successful UI.

- Owen