Re: GNOME goal for 3.8: Python 3 -- impact for pygobject itself

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 10:28:35AM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Should I just change the default to "python3", so that jhbuild will
> from now on build for py3 unless you explicitly configure for python2?
> That would go along with that goal, but would break modules which
> expect pygobject for py2.

The default should be changed. If jhbuild could still something like a
fake pygobject-python2 which still builds the py2 supports then it
should be quite an easy change.

> Or should we hack the build system to build for both 2 and 3 at the
> same time? This would involve tearing apart some chicken in the
> autotools setup, and no other Python module does it that way, but it
> might help with the transition?

I prefer a jhbuild hack as it seems easier. Any distribution likely
already dealt with this.

--
Regards,
Olav