Re: GnomeGoal for 3.8: DesktopFileKeywords

One of the best things with the MintMenu is/was that it both matched the English and Translated name and description of the application so that you could find applications by both. This was extremely useful when the user was receiving support via IRC/Mail or was reading an online guide.

2012/11/15 Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy <pclouds gmail com>
On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Henrique Ferreiro
<henrique ferreiro gmail com> wrote:

>> Finally, I did a blog post about the Ubuntu desktop help (which is a
>> branch of the GNOME Desktop Help). I suggested that users type "Help"
>> into the Unity Dash to see the help. One of my readers doesn't use the
>> English locale and typing that in returned no results. I think we
>> should always show matches for the English name and keywords fields.
>> To take it one step further, it would be cool if translators could opt
>> in to a second language like this. For instance I suspect many
>> Tunisian users would like to see French results in addition to Arabic
>> results.
>

> Matching on any of the languages installed in the desktop would probably be
> the most sensible way to do it.

I'd rather narrow it down to $LANG and English. It's easier to
implement (I think) and it should cover most cases. As a translator,
I've been keeping English keywords as a workaround because English
terms are quite popular here.
--
Duy