Re: GNOME Games split

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
> Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:

>>> Sure I can do that this week. Allan, is the list final?
>>
>> The list I came up with was fairly tentative, but I'd be happy to go
>> with it if there aren't any opposing views.
>
> Some thoughts on this...
>
> From a design point of view, a core application is one that is
> preinstalled and cannot be removed. It is a part of the system. In
> that respect, it might make sense not to have any games in the core
> application set - games are something that people may well want to
> remove, and it is hard to see them as being a part of the system.
>
> The problem with this is that we don't have a very good application
> installation story. If it was easy to browse what games are available
> and see which ones are popular and highly rated, then the idea of not
> preinstalling applications becomes much more appealing.
>
> Allan

With that definition not having any games included in the core system
sounds reasonable.

The way I was thinking about core/not-core was mostly about the
product we deliver. If something is in core I would expect it to be
fully integrated (GtkApplication/GMenu, designed UI, fitting theme,
etc) and to have been thoroughly tested with the platform libs for the
relevant releases. None of the games fit that description currently
but with fewer games it would be more realistic to ever reach that.