Re: Fallback mode is going away - what now ?

> So, what to do ? Thankfully, we have a pretty awesome extension
> mechanism in gnome-shell (extensions.gnome.org), and there are a ton
> of extensions out there which allow users to tweak gnome-shell in all
> kinds of ways. This also includes extensions which bring back many of
> the aforementioned 'classic' UX elements. The downsides of extensions
> are that (a) there is no guarantee that they will work with a new
> shell release - you often have to wait for your favourite extension to
> be ported and (b) there's so many of them, which often do very similar
> things - choice is always hard.

Just throwing in questions on minimizing the problem of updates breaking
gnome-shell extensions, obviously:

Can we make testing beta versions (and porting extensions to the next
major version of GNOME) more attractive / easier for extension authors?
Have Shell maintainers published info on "Code changes which may affect
extensions" in the past? Putting this into the release notes feels a bit
too late.

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net