Re: Fallback mode is going away - what now ?

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 4:04 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
>> A separate user session would be the best user experience, IMO.
>
> If you think so, we'll have to discuss the technicalities of making that work.

Thinking a bit about this, we can probably add a little session-mode
hook to load extensions in addition to the ones configured in
GSettings, so running "gnome-shell --mode=fallback" (or classic if we
must) would start with the appropriate extensions (including a simple
one that overrides the location of the button-layout setting to
include the minimize button in the default).

But is this really what we want? Separate sessions strongly indicate
that we provide two different but equal user experiences, rather than
a variation of the default experience which throws in some familiar
bits to make the transition less painful. Or am I misunderstanding
something and we indeed intend to provide the former?

>> The Tweak Tool shouldn't have anything to do with extensions. They are
>> something that you install and run as a part of the system, not
>> something to be "tweaked" via settings.

While I agree with you that gnome-tweak-tool (and package managers
(*)) are not the right place for extension management, I don't think
this is much of a concern with the matter at hand - as I understand
it, extensions are merely an implementation detail here and not
exposed to the user (except that they should also appear separately on
extensions.gnome.org, so users don't have to switch their system over
entirely if they only care about one or two "tweaks"). As mentioned
briefly above, I'd still assume an implementation based on extensions
even if we are going for a separate session.

Florian

(*) not to mention an extension management extension - I wish I was kidding