Re: Concerning Keyboard Status Menu

> The thing for Chinese input method is: Few of them are doing a good job.
> Styling of Chinese, dialect, modern Chinese cultures idioms *varies*.
> Even the big commercial input method failed to achieve a good job on
> every aspect mentioned above. That's why you saw several of commercial
> input method installed even on a single user desktop. This is why input
> method tend to be inconsistent.
>
> The default pinyin input GNOME whitelisted is ibus-pinyin. It's a very
> basic input engine that doing a relatively poor job on almost every
> aspect I mentioned above. And I'm not being offensive to those
> developers, Sunpinyin is no better than that.
>
> Develop a Chinese IME is *extremely* hard and it has commercial
> barriers. Big search engine companies have much complete training
> dataset than any opensource organization, commercial dictionaries from
> Chinese internet media companies are covering every aspect of Chinese
> culture: ancient poetry, modern word, idiom...Companies like Microsoft
> and Google have a much more sophisticated Machine Learning Research
> Group than any opensource organization...

The question is, if it is so hard to develop a Chinese IME, then why not
join together to improve it instead of having lots of half-finished ones?
If we are so low on resources then we should try to avoid fragmentation,
shouldn't we?

Cheers,
Debarshi

--
There are two hard problems in computer science: cache invalidation, naming
things and off-by-one errors.