Re: Requiring systemd for the gnome-settings-daemon power plugin

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
>> The other thing we can do (and really should do) is share more code
>> relating to systemd/CK and in general system abstractions.
>>
>> It's really pretty silly how hard we make it to share code between
>> gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-shell.  I'd be happy to move
>> more stuff into to gnome-desktop personally.
>
> It is pretty ad hoc, currently. In some cases (such as power or
> randr), we have dbus interfaces, in others we share code in libraries
> (randr again, xkb, backgrounds), and we also copy some glue code
> around (user accounts come to mind).
>
> I'd caution that we don't really want 'abstractions', though.

This is what I feel. DBus is our system abstraction layer. I feel that
making ConsoleKit support the logind interface wouldn't be that big of
a patch and solve this issue, at least.

There's the issue with applications using systemd library directly,
since that talks to the filesystem rather than DBus. I'd really like
to see that changed, or at least have some shared client library that
talks over DBus but I don't have any power to do that.