Re: Icons in notification area

Hey Dulek,

We don't encourage minimize to tray or similar patterns for GNOME 3.
That was always a big usability problem in GNOME 2 and we're trying to
make things simpler and easier to use.

In general, applications should have a visible window while they are
running, although there are minor exceptions to that rule. If you have
a specific application in mind, just get in touch (either privately or
on the list) and I'd be happy to offer some advice. You can also see
the porting guidelines for apps that tended to use the system tray in
the past [1].

Allan

[1] https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Guidelines/MessageTray/Compatibility