Re: High Resolution Gnome

Hello again,

On 09/05/2012 06:54 PM, Jason Simanek wrote:
My primary objective – for now: I would like to have (or create if
needed) a mouse cursor theme that is either scalable or larger.

So I actually took a look at the DMZ cursor theme and the artwork is already at 64 pixels and is scaled to whatever desired size, which should be plenty large even for screens of greater resolution than my own 15" 1920x1080 screen.

Once I figured out that the artwork for a larger mouse cursor was already available I went about trying to change my cursor's size. Unfortunately, this is proving to be quite a mess. Apparently the default 16px size for the cursor is buried in several places in the system.

Here is what I have done so far which has given me the desired cursor size (32px) on some of my system's GUI:

1  Dconf editor: org/gnome/desktop/interface > cursor-size: 32

2  sudo gedit /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/index.theme > CursorSize=32

3  sudo gedit /usr/share/icons/DMZ-Black/index.theme > CursorSize=32

4  gedit ~/.Xresources > Xcursor.size: 32

5  sudo gedit /root/.Xresources > Xcursor.size: 32

Even with all of these changes I still see the 16px cursor on the Gnome Shell Overlay, over my desktop, using Nautilus... probably some other places.

I know I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and that Ubuntu has a reputation for making a mess of things like this, but can anybody explain how to change my mouse cursor size and if there's anything we can do to untangle this mess?

Jason Simanek