jhbuild complains about missing python-devel package

When I run jhbuild build, it prints the following output and quits:

Required packages:
  System installed packages which are too old:
    (none)
  No matching system package installed:
    python-devel (python.pc, required=2.5)
jhbuild build: Required system dependencies not installed. Install using the command 'jhbuild sysdeps --install' or to ignore system dependencies use command-line option --nodeps

My distro (Arch Linux) doesn't have a package called python-devel, and furthermore doesn't provide the python.pc file in any package. It does however provide python-2.7.pc, python3.pc, python-3.2.pc, and python-3.2mu.pc.

If I pass the the --nodeps flag to jhbuild, all my modules (pygobject, clutter, and vala) still build successfully, so it appears python.pc isn't actually necessary.

Any insight as to how this might be fixed?

Thanks,
 Kerrick